View Single Post
      09-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #1268
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
BMW roadside will definitely tow you with or without runflats!! the bottom line is that they contract the towing, and the companies don't care at all what kind of wheels you have to be honest!----those contracted companies just wanna make some money!

that trunk liner DOES look pretty cheap.....i had something similar on the A3....like a plastick-y kind of thing right? i'm trying to find something softer and more rubbery but can't seen to find anything. What about weathertech? i wonder if they make something like that.

I am not going to run a spare. Am going to buy an inflation device and a can of goo and keep my AAA card on me as well as my BMW roadside assistance! gonna life on the edge! LOL

but definitely post a photo of the spare in the trunk when you put it in!
Well, it's good to know that I now have 3 people who can fight to tow me. And I pray I never have to use it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call my beloved trunk mat cheap, but I also thought it was more rubbery when I ordered it and it's some kind of soft, easily bendable plastic or who knows. But it isn't like a hard plastic if that's how it was in your A3. The elevated/ribbed things are more rubbery and I went and ran a ton of errands and got a bunch of groceries and nothing moved around back there on it.

I never really looked into other options cause I wanted OEM BMW part to ensure a good fit and it was $60. I don't think weathertech makes a trunk one for our cars, and here's the one I saw from Bavauto, after I already ordered mine. I never have anything really in my trunk, so it doesn't get dirty or see much use, so I just wanted a basic mat to keep things from sliding around and the wheel from getting my trunk dirty. But this might appeal more to you, though too rich for my blood for my purposes. Crap, that link didn't work, so I'll have to link the picture to their hex mat, though clearly not a 1-series in the photo and costs $95:

http://bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile...t-trunkmat.jpg

As for the spare, this morning I had my overkill hankook ventus v12 tire mounted onto a stock front size rim, and it's now sitting inside one of those BMW tire tote bags with a handle and nestled neatly in the back. I'll have to take pictures of it when the car isn't in my garage cause the lighting is so bad, the pictures hardly come out. It at least looks very neat and tidy and I did all my errands afterwards and was able to put all my bags and groceries back there in front of and around the tire. There's just enough space/depth to put a gallon jug of water between the tire and the trunk latch if people want to gauge how much room there is at the shortest point.

I'll post pics of my setup maybe tomorrow. Don't know how often I'll have it back here, but it'll sit there for now.
Appreciate 0