View Single Post
      03-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #46
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Your explanation makes sense and you may be entirely correct as what I experienced supports your point. It's all a driver's race through the first few gears. If you manage to jump ahead, the higher the speed the tougher it is for the car behind to close the gap. As I said, from a dig I pulled a full car length ahead an it did not change until I hit the brakes.

Other factors such as my car being lighter may have played a role - I drive a modestly equipped car, and my friend's car has all options plus DCT. Take into account a 60 lb heavier transmission, power seats, navi equipment, blah blah blah and we are easily talking about a good extra 100 pounds if not more.

Who knows!? But the results were very surprising indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
If you are a really good manual driver you will be able to keep up with a DCT to a bit past 60...it is after that that DCT makes all the difference.

Their was an explaination of this when DCT first came out on the M3, and from what the video explained DCT has no drop back due to shift time..this is more noticable the faster you go...because the faster you go the faster your speed decreases when you take your foot off the gas.

Here is the video that I am talking about.
Mmmm, that's a strange one that..
My Golf has the DSG box (same as DCT) and I would say the exact opposite to that mate.
For example, when doing a straight line drag, the 1st to 2nd change is probably the gear where you lose the most momentum when changing with a manual box. Then 2nd to 3rd and so on. The higher gears is where you have less of an advantage with dual clutch, as the car is going that quick and carrying that much momentum anyway, someone with a quick shift in a manual won't really lose much at all.
The dual clutch boxes help not just with the quickness of the shift, but the fact that there is no let up in acceleration, the nose of the car doesn't drop on each change and there's no loss of boost/lag. Something I have found to be most noticiable on a MT car when doing the first few changes (1st to 2nd / 2nd to 3rd ) as you are not carrying enough speed or momentum to help you at that stage.
Could be wrong though..
Appreciate 0