View Single Post
      06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #32
kchizz
Canada
Rep
Drives: '10 Space Gray 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I am bumping this thread to give you my impression of PSS tires.
Just came back from open track event at Thunderbolt. This event is for advanced drivers only, open passing anywere. Lots of racers with race cars who came to practice, and very few street cars including mine.
Its 2011 135i, DCT, m3 bits, stock shocks/springs, vorshlag c.plates with -2.8, zero toe front, -2 rear.
I used to run BFG R1 race tires with the same set up and they were good for 12 track days. They still had plany of rubber left, but lost much of a grip due to cycling out.
When it was time to change them, i decided to step up and got Hoosiers R6. I was shocked how much more grip they had compare to anything else i have experienced before. But i also noticed that my car was understiering a lot more and was pushing a lot. When i looked at my front tires outside edge, i was shocked one more time, they vere almost dead. Almost like OPs pic in this thread. Someone told me that i need at least -3.5 camber for these tires on this car. We cant get more than -2.8 on my car for some reason, so that was the end of Hoosiers for me.
Time to change tires again. This time i decided to go with street tires, as i got tired to carry race tires with me, mount them at the track, remove, put street tires back on, and race tires are very weather dependent.
After searching, talking to track ppl, i finally chose Michelin PSS.
245/35 front, 265/45 rear on Apex 8 wheels.
Track day at Thunderbolt NJ, nice sunny weather, 70F, low humidity, Almost a perfect weather right? Not for PSS.
First session comes, i warm them up for one lap as always and start driving at 10/10 as usual. I immediately noticed a heavy understeer in tight corners and towards the end of my 15 min run i felt tires start to lose traction, sliding around. Going straight to the pits and i see sidewall of my front left tire is heavily damaged, but no chunks coming off. My lap times were down by 6 seconds
I immediately realized that i made another mistake with tires and i cant drive this car with these tires at 10/10th, because the sidewall is too soft and they are rolling over.
The grip was very good for a street tire, but they are not going to last too long with my style of driving.
Front right looked ok, so i put it to the front left, front right to the left and finished the day driving at 6/10th, to save my new tires that are going to be my street tires only. At the end of the day tires looked ok.
I have never been passed so many times in 6 years that i was in one day yeasterday lol. PPL who know me were asking whats wrong
OP, i wish i saw this thread before i got my PSS tires
Sorry for the long story, but hopefully others will read this and avoid the mistake we made.
Groundpilot, this is EXACTLY the same experience I had at the track with two week old PSS's as well. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the pit before my front left tire rolled off the rim on a tight down hill right turn (turn #4 at AMP in NovaScotia for those wondering). My symptoms were identical to yours, heavy understeer and sliding. It was like I was on balloons and figured they were running hot but I kept close attention to the pressures and was able to keep them reliably at 38-40 hot all day. I knew something wasn't right and slowed it down considerably but didn't make it to the pit soon enough. This was late in the afternoon the second day of a two day weekend so I could rule out poor installation, I would have noticed that early the first day. I think it just boils down to these tires not being ideal for hard track days. They are great on the street and for me that's where they'll stay. In Canada this tire costs $300

Some pics (because everyone loves pics)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0