Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
UPDATE... having an issue
I changed the plugs yesterday and when i first cranked the motor it sounded like a V8 with cams... turned off the car and turned on again and it was humming normally except a bit louder than usual and it was kicking out smoke from the exhaust. Finally the motor calmed like always and seemed fine. Today i headed to work and all was fine until after work when i headed home and the power wasn't there and the car threw the message of "motor malfunction" and that it was running at reduced power. Went by an auto parts store to check for codes and nothing.... with car on and off. BMW wants $135 just to hook it up to diagnose with their system....

You need a scanner that can detect BMW specific codes, not just general OBDII codes. Some of the codes are shaddow codes and can only be read by BMW or a very good scanner like the BT (Bav Tech) cable or those coding OBDII cables with downloaded sw from the web.

I would watch that COBB video again... you probably do not have one of the coil packs connectors seated correctly or one of the coils is broken(down in the plug hole). You should inspect the old coils very carefully for any arch tracing(carbon) on the rubber stem part.

ALSO... I hope you used BMW dealer bought plugs. Some people have reported issues like this(missfires and thrown codes) with the OEM Bosch spark plugs. ALWAYS use BMW BOSCH plugs. There is a difference. And not just in the price.

Quote:
I'm sharing my experience simply to stress to those who want to do the work themselves, GET THE RIGHT SOCKET
Sometimes a "cheap" tool can be quite expensive at the end of the day. I always try to buy quality over price.
I bought the exact Bosch replacement plugs, coil packs weren't changed though, I reused the ones I had and I looked inside each when I pulled them and they all looked fine with shinny tips, no blacking. I'm going to give the motor another look over today and back track. When driving normally the car is fine, no codes, but when I give it past 1/4 throttle there's no response, it just slooowly starts to pick up and then the malfunction message is thrown.
Appreciate 0