View Single Post
      04-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Also, why would BMW spend all that money to produce and release only these crappy pics?
Because the crappy images were their goal, I think. Look at the trouble and expense they go to just to cover every one of their prototypes...with fatsuits.
And then compare this, or any other BMW model under development with what their competition does...this is near obsessional application of gorgeous camoflage by BMW.

Take a close look. In some places there's two layers of disguise ( note the false strakes on the door below the outermost skin ) that almost completely covers the body...if there really is a body in the conventional sense underneath. So, again, it's this tease - the suspension of completeness that BMW mines. And it's not done merely to disguise...not at this manic level. To me it's about heightening suspense and desire. The whole thing...the aesthetic is drama...step-by-step disrobement as the prototype reveals the production model beneath. Money is, apparently, not the main consideration. This is image seduction and deception. The strip tease.
Kick back...enjoy.
Appreciate 0