MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
As i understand it, Senator Fielding's proposed amendments would exempt certain groups of people - farmers, tourism operators, etc.. If that's accepted, the amended bill could be passed, which would mean that "normal" buyers of cars over the threshold would still be hit for the additional LCT.

If that's what happens, good luck to the holden and ford dealers trying to sell Calais, Fairmont's & Statesmen -- no chance in hell.

I also believe he is proposing that the threshold of ~$57K for the whole of the LCT, be lifted, and indexed. Not a bad idea at all!!! That threshold was set quite a few years ago. It's like "bracket creep" in income tax. The longer they leave it alone, the more people get caught by it, and thus, the more revenue the tax generates.
I wonder if I can get classed as a tourism operator if I'm going to show my cousin and her husband from the Nederlands around for a month or so! :thumbup:

If this "tax on a tax on a tax" is going to stay, I would suggest increasing the limit it kicks in and indexing the only sensible thing to do.

Wonder what they'll increase the threshold to?

I actually emailed Fielding this morning in support of his decision.
Appreciate 0