Thread: Goodbye!
View Single Post
      02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Paul W 1138
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Hey guys -

Just a brief follow up after getting rid of the 135 and purchasing a 13 GT500. Now, while i do miss the BMW, the Shelby is just loads of fun. I decided not to use her during the winter, sticking with my humble Civic for DD.

The BMW was of course, agile and quick. The Shelby is a beast that takes some getting used to (still getting used to it). The car is surprisingly well built, very solid, interior is spartan but well made. The recaros are the best seats I've ever come across and worth every penny. I do miss the M series steering wheel as the Shelby's is a combo of Alacantara and leather but the BMW wheel takes the cake.

The power is amazing and respect is needed when driving her. 662hp/631 torque with 285's in the rear takes some throttle control but I'm learning. Taking her to Limerock in April for my first track event with the new car. She handles surpisingly well considering the size. Torsen differential and on the fly suspension changes help.

The clutch is 100% different than the 135 or an M3. The BMW's engagement are pretty much at the bottom and the shifter is butter-like. The shelby's engagement is almost at the top and the shifter reminds me of an older Ferrari with a gated shift; hard, stiff but meaningful. Because of the gear ratios, shifting is minimal for the most part. 0-60 in first gear, fellas.

Overall, it's a major departure over the BMW but so much more of an experience to drive, gets tons of attention (especially from M3s, which get beaten without me really trying). It's TOTALLY not a daily driver, not at all. That's what I miss about the BMW as they are the best of both worlds; quick and practical. I have the humbling civic with a whopping 100 hp as a station car and when it gets warmer out, the Shelby to hoon.

Hope everyone is well and hope to see my fellow New Yorkers on the road.
Appreciate 0