01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Thinking of it, BMW would have some troubles either way. Assuming they build a real supercar and name it M1, just in line with the great anchestor of the 70s, some people would still wonder how this car is related to the 1 series. So they might indeed prefer a higher numbered naming like M9 for a supercar and accept the dismay of some (like myself) for naming the 1 series M1.

Best regards,
south
I don't see it as dismay. How many "supercars" re-use the make and model name? Not many. Also, I have seen quite a few M1's (over a dozen, including a used car dealership in Freiburg that had 3 or 4 of them sitting there) and I look at them as more of a very limited production car, that happened to be an M creation. A quick look at that auto-dealer's website shows that they have 4 off them sitting there for sale right now. this place is just an old gas station, turned used car dealership. Certainly nothing fancy at all.

The chances of them making a production supercar in the next 10 years is probably incredibly slim anyway. It simply costs too much, especially on the heels of a bum economy.

I'll reiterate that a 40-50 year hiatus means that only a handful of average consumers will even know what the original M1 was anyway.
Appreciate 0