08-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I had my wheels off today (painting the calipers) and looked at the tires. The wear rating was 240 (Goodyears). It seems like that may be higher than some of you with quick replacements.

My SUV is my first independant rear end rear wheel drive vehicle. My 128 is my second. My SUV definitely wears the rears harder. It's interesting to hear Tom say bimmers do to. It seems a little odd but what about swapping the fronts to the rear? I have the sport pack so they are not the same size but I think the fronts are wide enough for the 128. Might not be worth the trouble and slightly odd look but I like it when all 4 wear out at the same time.

Jim
Somehow, I doubt that putting smaller tires on the rear of a RWD car is a good idea, even with only 230 hp. I'd be wary of oversteer, plus even more of a F/R wear differential. I also have the NCT5s and frankly, I'm happy with 24,000 miles out of a pair of rear tires.

On my Z4, I rotated the OEM tires (non staggered 225/45WR17) once at 16,000 miles and got nearly 30,000 miles out of the set - and these were the Bridgestone 050A RFTs that all our 135i brethen love to complain about.

Tom
Appreciate 0