Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Respray or live with it?

Hi -

I got my first door ding the other day - and unfortuantely, it's in the plastic bumper cover. The dent is half the size of a thumbnail and not very deep, but the paintwork on the car is very nearly perfect otherwise. The paint appears "smudged" from the impact, but not broken and neither is the plastic cracked. (Sorry, but I can't get a photo that does it justice.)

I got quotes this morning from reputable shops and now I'm a little torn on how to proceed. To repair, they've proposed to blend a base coat at the damaged area and then re-clear the entire cover. That's going to cost me ~$600.

Part of me thinks I should retain the factory paint and not touch this up unless / until it gets damaged further, but the other part of me wants the car back to looking new and again try to keep it that way.

Thoughts on the value of factory paint with a small door ding vs. a repaired bumper that looks like new?

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0