View Single Post
      01-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

I have adaptive headlights (xenons) so let me summarise how it works from my limited experience

- with the switch in automatic position, the angel eyes and low-beams are both OFF in bright conditions. When it get's darker or you go through a tunnel both will come on together
- also in automatic position, the adaptive function in activiated and the xenon lights will swivel (in any manual position, the adaptive function is not activated)
- if you turn on the parking lights, the angel eyes will be on on their own but the low-beams will not turn on automatically when it gets dark so then you need to remember flip the switch yourself to automatic mode or manual on. This is a pain.
- the car has the option on turning daytime running lights on but this will mean that the angel eyes and xenons are always on together
- angel eyes look cool and look their coolest when the all 4 are on and the xenons are off (parking lights position). If you are vain you will turn the parking lights on while driving for this cosmetic effect (and perhaps turn on front fogs tool)

I leave mine in 'Automatic' for the following reasons

- I don't want to have to remember to manually turn the low-beams on when it get's dark.
- I want the adaptive function to be on when my lights switch on so leaving it in automatic is fine
- I have comfort access and in the lights automatically switch off when I leave the car (no buzzers or warnings). I love this feature and it only works in 'automatic'

Of course, I would love if the DRL consisted of just Angel Eyes. Then I might activate them. It's a bit of a waste to turn them on when xenons come on as well, as this might shorten the life of the bulbs. The automatic lights function provides enough safety as it is quite sensitive and will even turn the lights on on dull overcast days which is good.
Appreciate 0