Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
After my run-in period, I changed the transmission fluid to the recommended BMW MTF LT-5. Didn't make much of a difference as the gearbox was still notchy, especially going into 2nd gear.

As the BMW LT-5 isn't a synthetic oil I researched other BMW forums that recommended the use of Redline's synthetic transmission oil. On Redline's website itself, their application guide for our 1M's recommends the use of their 'D6 ATF'. And I know ATF stands for 'automatic transmission fluid' but on the rear of the bottle it does say for manual transmissions too.

So I gave it a shot. My my.. and I ain't exaggerating when I say this, its pretty much night and day difference. Mostly after after a couple of days usage. Not only is it smooth going into gears the vehicle's performance and mileage improves due to its lower resistance. And that's something you can feel.. the lower resistance and smoother acceleration.
Now I know there'll be skeptics out there which is fine. I'm here just sharing my personal experience and I believe that's what forums were created for. So for those who only stick to OEM fluids that's perfectly fine too. For others willing to give it a try, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprise by this synthetic oil.
FWIW, when my dealer put the wrong stuff in my trans, I emailed Mikey (Roundel tech editor) and also talked to a rep at Redline. Mikey stood behind his Redline MTL rec but the Redline guy hedged once he heard that my gearbox was "unique" and not same as 135 and for a while they had removed the ATF D6 as a rec on the website, but maybe they have checked and decided OK...
Appreciate 1