Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
So what is the downside of FM booster?
Know one really knows. But logic would say that IF you put a substance into the diff that makes the diff clutches have more slip... and less "chatter" your "locking" action of your diff will change.

I believe BMW is using the "+FM" booster(on for its US customers) because they don't want to give their customers any excuse to "Lemon" their new car. Most American buyers are put off by strange noises when they just have bought a brand new car. They think a car should make no noise. But the truth is sometimes noises are ok. Like the way the N54/N55 engine sounds at idle, or the diff noise or some wind noise do to frameless windows.

Over here... when someone takes their new BMW into the dealer... and the Meister listens to a strange noise and tells the customer: "Ohh that is a normal sound"... they believe the Meister! In the states we have Lemon laws and plenty of laywers... and people will never believe what someone at the dealer tells them. EVEN if it is true, that the noise is normal.

This is why we also get stuck with that SW update that gives us LAG and kills throttle response.

I think BMW is using the +FM booster to keep its customers happy. Even IF there is a performance decrease. Most drivers would never know. THIS is just my opinion though. I have no concrete evidence.
Appreciate 0