04-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
No tread is good in the dry, bad in the wet. Assuming the rubber hasn't aged out, your best dry grip will be once the tread has worn down. But to get some more life out of your tires, flip them on the rims so you can wear out the other side at your next track day. Cords appear very quickly once you get to the slick state, and they will end your track day as soon as they appear, unless you have another set of tires on hand.
Good input. I dont know if they are worth flipping with that much wear but I will consider this.

Quote:
Tires with a broad traction peak and progressive break away characteristics invite over driving them, which is very hard on the rubber. It might be worth paying more attention to tire noise and also the point at which more steering does not result in more cornering force. If you can drive at or just below the cornering force peak, as opposed to beyond it, you will find big gains in tire life.
The RE-11 make very little noise at the limit, but your comments are very meaningful as allways.

Quote:
I have always enjoyed track days that start wet and end dry (as opposed to the opposite). When grip builds over the event, it always seems to leave me particularly satisfied with the event.
Mother nature could not have planned it better for us on these two days. First day held us back, and made us focus on finesse.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0