10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Does it have a hard enough finish that it would stop stone chips getting through to the paint underneath?
From looking at videos it seems pretty tough once it's hard time to cure. I saw the guy digging his fingernail into it and he didn't seem to leave a mark.

Is it as strong as a polyurethane wrap? No. Will it help with reducing stone chips? I would think it definitely would, especially if you've applied enough coats.

As for the remarks about the textured finish on plastidip, they have a glossifier coat now which is supposed to give it a....well for lack of a better word, gloss finish. I'd definitely be interested in seeing whether it would be able to be applied to a clearcoat and maintain the shiny reflective finish.

On videos I've seen it with a few layers applied over the standard matte finish plastidip and you can definitely see some reflections, i.e. the person standing in front of it, camera etc. However, from what I could see it didn't seem like you would be able to get a mirror finish out of it like you could with a standard clear coat.