01-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I found a way to fit 2-inch CAT-8 aircraft grade flex piping, by tapping a hole in the OE brake duct, and routing under the belly pan/splashshield. I havent yet decided whether to attach a 2-inch flange to the brake dust shield, or just cut an opening in the dust shield, and point the mouth of a 2-inch 45* elbow towards the center of the rotor.
See pics below:

..and this is how Im routing the air from OE duct ...

... I used a flexiblre rubber funnel, that I carefully and gradually cut to fit inside the OE duct, and funnel air into my 2-inch 90* elbow...
GREAT progress bud... you could probably take a coat of rattle can and spray the funnel black so it blends in better with the trim.

Regarding your hoses, one thing I did on my car was install flanges even over the plastic shroud that way instead of running a single long house, I was able to run 2 shorter hoses. This makes the hoses "serviceable" so if one ever gets chewed up, I can replace one end as opposed to replacing the entire length.

The shorter hose closer to the wheel is 2-ply hi temp (takes more of a beating) and the hose closer to the front was 1-ply normal temp since I don't foresee ever having to replace that. Keeps costs down.

This is the "outer" hose leading to the front of the car:

which is separate from the "inner" hose closer to the wheel:

You can see the flanges on both sides of the same trim which allows easy disconnect and removal if necessary. Just something to consider... and that OEM plastic shroud is replaceable if anyone ever wanted to go back to "stock".