View Single Post
      07-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Got a new top - plus a little junk

I got my second new top on Thursday. I got the car back first thing Friday morning. I was doing my annual wash, clay bar, wax + vacumn, clean, treat interior + wash windows and noticed some "junk" in the chamber where the convertible top mechanism resides when the top is down. I attached a picture.

I had them do tsb b541409g (initially they said it didn't apply so I sent it to my service advisor and asked him to read the second line then tell me why it didn't apply). The hole that caused the second replacement was in the area that the tsb is supposed to protect. I guess I know they did the tsb, the "junk" is drilled out rivets, pieces of rivets, and washers. I vacumned out metal shavings. This stuff I plucked out with an automotive pick-up tool.

I guess this stuff would probably not hurt anything but I didn't want to leave it in there and find out. Three tops is enough for me. The car had also been washed and vacumned but that was done quite sloppy too. It was very dirty when I took it in but still.... There were also a few greasy/dirty marks in the rear seat area. I hardly ever use the rear seat so I wonder if the dealer did that too. The car was mostly clean but there were a few areas that hadn't been cleaned. It saved me a lot of time that they got most of the dirt off but if you say you wash a car, why not finish it?

I'm happy that BMW will spend the money to "make-it-right" but I'm a little frustrated with the sloppy work by my dealer. Do you think I'm being unfair?

Jim
Attached Images