View Single Post
      05-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I think they might have done a bit more tuning with the traction control in the default setting and maybe better work on the documentation. My manual still says I have a high performance V8! I don't know what else they might have added except for an automatic transmission. I think the time and budget constraints are what made the 1M special. It forced ///M to focus on the most important parts....plenty of power, excellent braking, good handling, good sound and fun. It did not become as diluted as the M3 has with manual, automatic, convertible, 2 door, 4-door, electronic suspension, automatics, manuals, etc etc. They just focused on the basics and that is what is magical about this project. The fact that most hard core fans would want a manual made them focus on that and the shifting feel is outstanding on this car. The clutch is great even with the CDV. While the next generation 1M will probably perform better with with more development time and money, it will still lack the charm of this 1M. I am certain it will have a manual and automatic option so anyone can drive one. At least this one, you have to know how to drive a stick and want to do it.

Sometimes people's best work comes when they have limited time and money and they have to focus on what really matters and I feel this is the case here. You know the P-51 Mustang was developed in a rush during WWII and I believe it was the fastest ever design-to-production aircraft to that day and yet it became the greatest fighter ever made according to many......oh and it didn't have a bespoke motor either, they ended up borrowing the Merlin engine from the Spitfire.

So I'm sure the next generation will be better on paper but it won't have the charm for me that this one does despite the numbers.
Appreciate 0