View Single Post
      11-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Oil is such a subjective topic...it's like asking someone if their GF looks hot.

As you mentioned, we run Motul. It's great. It dropped our oil temps. That's why we like it. I'm no chemical engineer so I can't honestly tell you anything else. But there is a lot of research out there that shows it's good stuff so...

BTW, you will not free up any HP going from 5w-30 to 5w-40. In fact you will lose power (though very little). the 40 is a heavier weight ("thicker"). Thus, causes more engine drag but the benefits are that it can withstand more heat. That's why endurance cars run high viscosity oil. They don't need the maximum power, they need maximum protection.

Nothing wrong running a 5w-40 in a daily. Just keep in mind it takes a little longer for the oil to get to operating temperature.

BTW, go Motul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
I am curious if anyone is using either Motul or Amsoil 5W-40 in their daily driven engines. I know that Evolution Racewerks uses Motul for their Time Attack car and I believe the H-Stock 135i uses Total motor oil (I'm not sure of the viscosity used). My question is will I suffer any adverse effects from switching from 5W-30 to 5W-40. Are there any pros? Will I free up any HP (even its as much as 1HP), will I notice faster revs, will oil temps be a bit lower? Will 5W-40 be more or less harsh on my engine and its components and will it be better or worse from a cold start. I understand I can search the forums or the Internet, but I would like personal feedback and experience from those who have been using it for the N54/55 engine. Thanks in advance from all those that can provide me with some sort of feedback.
Appreciate 0