View Single Post
      06-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
It would be illogical to never change your transmission oil, to be consistent, TrackRat can't answer my question and probably never will, probably due to some hidden agenda.

It would be illogical to think BMW and dealers are not in the business to make money. Since invent of BMW Free Maintenance and comparing to other manufs maintain intervals, there is a huge discrepency. There is a short term model involved with a lot of variables, some of which have nothing to do with long term ownership. Throw Europe into the equation and the business model gets even more complicated.

Forums are for enthusiasts, BMW recommended is for the guy who doesn't know how to check or change his own oil.

What? What are you talking about in your second paragraph?
Who said that BMW or any dealer is not in business for the money?
Address the points given if you have something to agree or disagree with.
Redefining the question to suit your ability to answer it, is pointless here.

You asked why some lower mileage BMW's are sold without a certified warranty. I gave you some reasons why.
I have no idea what you're discussing now.

Car forums are full of enthusiastic people for sure. That certainly doesn't translate into, enthusiasts know more about cars than BMW engineers.
Enthusiasts can often become over-enthusiastic and promote the concept that more oil changes at lower mileages will result in longer lived engines.
There are enthusiasts who still believe that oil should be changed at 3k and 2k miles. I don't care how enthusiastic they are about that, it's a waste of time, money, and resources.
Appreciate 0