View Single Post
      08-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Anytime I buy a used car, I change the oil two or three times in the first month.... just to flush out the engine. Oil is cheap(er) than internal engine parts.

IF you really only drive 15 miles to work... your engine is never warming up fully. I think you meant to say you also drive the car on longer trips(per week) - right? IF you only really drive 15 miles to your work... I'd be changing your oil every month! That's a sure fire recipe for sludge buildup.

For me... I would rather change the engine oil too(more) often than what the CBS says. An oil change every 15K(or 10K now) is what BMW says. But they are in the business to sell you a new car every few years. I plan on keeping my 1er... so I go a little bit over board with oil changes. Oil changes are really the only "real" servicing that a modern BMW see's these days. Sure there are other minor things... but fresh oil is the best oil!

Dackel
I agree on changing the oil immediately upon buying a used car but 15 miles is more than enough to get the engine up to temp. I used to drive 15 miles each way, and the oil is at full temp (135, so I have the gauge) after 5 miles or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeard View Post
I think i will go ahead with the 5k changes when I hit 60k (only 3k more away)
I'd be much more inclined to change it now, use Castrol LL-01 so you know it's what should be in there and then go to 65k.
Appreciate 1
smeard136.00