05-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #187
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcefed View Post
What does the PPK sw flash cost to have done at the dealer? Anyone know off hand?

I just looked up the Giac sw upgrade. Looks impressive. There's no price listed however. Is this a load on to the the factory ecu or is it a piggyback system like the JB4? Like I said, my only concern is warranty repairs being covered. And I've not yet felt out my local BMW dealerships to see if they're at all "mod friendly".
The PPK runs about $1K installed. Some have gotten it for free. Some have bought the "sw key code" for ~$700 and paid a local dealer an hour's labor to install the BMW PPK sw. PPK will only get you a marginal improvement in Hp. ~20 Hp.

Giac's sw flash - you have to take your car to them. Its not a piggy tune. That's an advantage if you ask me. Cobb is fairly popular bc you can revert back to your "stock" mapping. But every time your car is flashed, the DME/ECU records the flash number. So if down the road when you need something major done by BMW for warranty... they can find out. Both will get you an easy 80 Hp or more.

IF I were in the states... I think I would go with Giac. But over here in Germany I am quite happy with my German sw flash tune. Almost 50K miles and no trouble at all. Not even a engine check light in all that time. No one with those "other" piggy tunes can say that.
Appreciate 0