View Single Post
      04-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #103
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

This is what I posted on their website in response to the truth about cars review:

I will not recommend that you stick to Civics because it's hard to heel and toe in Birkenstocks. While that might be cute I honestly don't think either demographics or basic lack of perspicacious insight were why you panned a great car. What I do think happened is that the car wasn't what you had hoped. Let me guess, a $30,000 E30 M3? How vain to review a car from that point of view. If I might exercise my verbosity with an overlong retort:

This car is less of what you don't need in a 335i and more of what you want. And what other cars come close? Compared to the 335i, the 135 is hotter styling, 9/10 the size, 9/10 the cost, 10/10 the quality, and 11/10 the performance. If you need a backseat or your preferences for styling drive you to the 335i, then by all means drop the extra $5000 - $6000. Not like there's another choice. EVO? STI? Faster on the track if that's your thing and you don't mind a wing and swelled fenders. Not too pleasant as daily drivers. Infiniti G37? Nice big car. Slower. Can't see out the back. Smaller trunk. Lexus IS350? Floaty and isolated. Get it with a decent stereo and it's $8K (and up) more. BMW Z4M coupe? Less practical as a daily driver or touring car. Many more $ for same performance. So.. not needing a big cruiser, I bought a 135 to be picked up in Munich. And I don't get the impression the car is selling slowly. They are going to blow through their 10,000 cars in under 12 months. We'll see how much less. And no, they aren't mostly leases (re: automotive news, they sold 1500 in March)

Addressing some specific observations in the article, I've read probably over 25 reviews. Not a single one has said the steering was too heavy or the clutch was overbearing. Most said it had the best steering they have felt on a BMW and a great shifter. I feel comfortable in their published view having checked for myself in a test drive of the 135 6M. The shifter wasn't as good as an S2000, but was crisp and gratifying to use. The hydraulic steering was engaging, not cumbersome. As for looks, some love it, some hate it. I find the styling on a 335i OK, but a bit republican orthodontist. The 135 looks like a fast, tight car.

So everyone hoped for a $30,000 E30 M3. Yea, whatever. This is more like an E36 M3. Made for the freeway and in town, not for the track. Made to be both comfortable and fast. Made with quality components not compromised by bargain basement marketing. Look at what it is as opposed to your hopes and expectations and you might find it's a damn good car for the pragmatic enthusiast.

And this was Mr. Berkowitz's very civilized, but I think inconsistent with the review, response posted to the public list:

Justin Berkowitz :

@alschrec :
I’m not sure why you feel the review panned the car. The interior, aside from the non-sport seats, is great. The engine is phenomenal and among the top 5 engines in cars under $100k.
My biggest issue with this car, more than anything else, is that I found it clinically good to drive. The stats on it are amazing. It’s very fast, it holds the road very well, but I can’t say I loved driving it. The steering is too heavy and the car’s grip exceeds what you can do at legal limits (that’s a good thing for safety of course). For me, it’s just not as much fun as the M Coupe, or a MINI, or a Boxster, or my daily driver GTI. I’d be curious to take out a 135i for track time.
Appreciate 0