JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepsdayz View Post
Anyone please?
peepsdayz,

I can only make a few comments, I am unfamilar with your cable. The things I would double check are:

1) do you have the driver installed (it appears you do). It should have come with or be available through your cable provider. If you have no driver, you could try the one from the onestopelectronics website.

2) you need to set your cable up as COM1 (appears you have probably done) and go into device manager (you get there different ways depending on your operating system) and make sure "use fifo buffers" is marked and receive and transmit buffers are both set to 8. YOu will see these under the advanced tab for the com port for your cable. You will not see the cable in device manager unless it is plugged into the computer (doesn't matter if its plugged into the car). You can figure out which port it is by just plugging and unplugging it and looking to see a port appear and disappear. If a port doesn't appear and disappear then the driver isn't working or the cable isn't. There is also a setting I forget at the bottom of the advanced dialogue page where the buffers are that has to be set to "1", it started as 16 if I remember right.

3) If that doesn't work, I would look at a long post on the b m w c o d i n g website in the beginners section for INPA errors. On page 4 there is a long post with a bunch of setting to check and potentially change. I did those things and mine worked.

If none of that fixes this my guess is you just wasted money trying to save money - your cable doesn't work. I hope that is not the case. The cable from onestopelectronics is expensive but the price didn't seem as bad once I understood it has a serial to digital converter built in. Good Luck.

Jim