View Single Post
      03-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #95
e82n54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i 6MT Alpine White

I just got off the phone with tech support at Valentine 1. I was told that the radar detector can't handle more than a 2 amp fuse for hard wire in the fuse box. I was also told that the radar detector parts would overheat and start frying if the attached fuse is above 2 amps!

I have heard from other sources that radar detectors in general only need about 1 or 2 amps.

I just removed my valentine 1 hardwire from my old car, which I'm selling so I could install it in my 135. I had it installed a while ago at Houston Car Stereo. They didn't use the add a fuse technique. The red wire from the hardwire kit was just inserted/wedged under an existing 15 amp fuse in the fuse box. I didn't have any trouble with the radar detector, but the end of the wire that was sandwiched under the 15 amp fuse has melted a little. That leads me to believe that the valentine 1 tech support may be right about using a fuse with a 2 amp maximum.

So from what I understand. I should use no higher than a 1 or 2 amp fuse in the 'add a fuse' to power the radar detector. If I'm using slot 8 I should use an 18 amp fuse to go in the slot that replaces the existing 20 amp fuse along with a 2 amp fuse to power the radar detector.

My question is:

Do i have to insert 2 fuses in the 'add a fuse' if I'm using the empty slot 5?
Appreciate 0