Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I wouldn't buy any current production BMW. Any of the current production cars and those soon to be in production will emphasize ever more modern technology with its innate disconnectedness from the driver, with better observable metrics such as power, speed, and fuel consumption. Since this automobile company and most others have ditched driving pleasure (other than enjoyment of brute force and speed) as one of their "metrics," you can be sure that all the cars they sell in the future will follow this trend to the extent possible. That makes all of these "modern cars" less desirable as soon as successor vehicles are offered, basically the BMW blueprint for making their cars depreciate at breakneck speed. From the standpoint of a vehicle manufacturer making expensive luxury vehicles for affluent or wannabee affluent people, this is a very good place to be.

If I were looking for another car, I'd be looking at a used one that is modern enough to be safe, has enough creature comforts to satisfy me (or can be modded to have them such as by changing the head unit) and that had low enough mileage and was in good enough shape that it could be considered to be a long term keeper.

You will always be able to buy a powerful car with luxury features and numb electric power steering, as this is the future for all the luxury car brands, not just BMW.
^^^ This.

I'm going to go backwards for my 1M stable-mate when the time comes...an E46 M3.