View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #29
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Kerosene in the oil does clean things the oil contacts, this is true. I've gambled and cleaned out sticky lifters in previous cars this way. However, kerosene is not a good lubricant. I'd never do more than idle with it and even then not for a very long time. I'd never have it in for 100's of miles, especially driving with it and potentially higher revs. Asking for trouble.

And as a general rule you don't want any kind of cleaners whatsoever in your oil. You prevent that at all costs. For those that change their oil by pushing a tube down in from the filler at the top, do not clean that tube with anything afterwards.

I spent 10 years doing Quality Engineer and warranty analysis work at an engine manufacturing plant providing to Ford, and was once ICML certified in lubrication and oil analysis. I say that not to sound cool or to say that I'm necessarily even right, but just that I've been around a lot of this stuff for a long time and have seen a lot of damaged engines related to a lot of different things getting into the oil. Please don't put kerosene or any other cleaner into your oil unless you have a known problem in the oil system, realize that you are gambling when you do so, and definitely don't drive on it.
Appreciate 0