02-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #34
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashspeeder View Post
wow, that was wonderful. I really wanted more of a gap between the two cars but what we got was pretty impressive nonetheless. I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the car was unflattering in some angles. I think it was beautiful all around. I used to hate the styling but it's grown on me and all through the videos i was watching in awe at the grace the car had and MAINTAINED through the track.

I didn't see understeer, I saw a car's unwillingness to lose its back-end (yes, I'm playing the semantics game here) which one could take any way especially with a BMW which has a near 50-50 weight distribution. It performed beautifully. The only thing I wish they had shown more would be actual shifting. I would have loved to have seen how the car shifts, where, how hard it pulls at those speeds, and what RPMs it lands at when you upshift.

It seems to me that this car is the embodiment of what all the other BMWs are losing. All the other models are growing up, becoming more mature cars, heavier, more gadgets and toys for the older audience. This car is the rebellious younger brother that gives a resounding "fuck you" to its pretentious family's ways and lives by my philosophy of "Go big or go home".
And yet it's still too heavy. The one thing I love about the Cayman is the weight. 3000lbs. I wish the 135i had been launched closer to that weight.
Appreciate 0