View Single Post
      06-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
Maximus_Prime
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '12 Q5 2.0T, '06 Miata

Garage List
This is an issue I've been thinking about too because as a rule I never previously bought new cars because of the initial loss of value. Realistically, I will drive the 1M until I get tired of it or another car strikes my interest, which usually happens every 2-3 years. I am expecting this car to lose a lot of value during that time.

I personally don't think we should count on this car retaining its value any more than any other BMW. Who knows what else will be out within the next few years and what the comparable cars will be. Put yourself in a possible buyer's shoes - if you were looking into buying a car two years from now would you pay a lot for a used 1M or would you rather spend that money on something newer that has the latest features/tech and isn't styled off a discontinued model (i.e., the e8x 1 series)?

My guess is most people would opt for the newer car. Which is why I think the value of the 1M will likely drop considerably, just like other used cars. There may be a select few BMW enthusiasts that would be willing to pay more for a 1M but that segment is going to be very small. So you'd have to wait till one of those folks was able and willing to buy the car before you could sell it to them at a premium. Even then, I doubt such a person would be willing to pay much more than market value for the car. For example, how many people would actually be willing to pay over blue book for a Z4M right now?

"Collector car" has been thrown around a lot in reference to this car, but that status takes decades to be achieved. I doubt most of us will hold onto the car that long.
Appreciate 0