View Single Post
      09-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1260
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
I'm looking for a trunk liner as well, and yours looks like a good one. Fits well, looks like it belongs in the space. Key for me is for the surface to be as grippy as possible. How smooth is your liner?
It looked like the best one I'd seen for the money, though I think bavauto has a more rubbery hex-patterned one, but is more expensive. This one is BMW part #51470433563 and is like $63 from the various forum sponsors. It's hard to explain what the material is cause it's somewhere between a plastic and a rubber. I just went down and looked and felt it some more, and the raised grooved portions appear to be a stickier rubber like compound. I haven't really had anything back there to really see how grippy it is, so will report back after I do some grocery shopping and stuff and see if the tire slides around, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport
Wow. Not only are you missing the net, but the attaching hardware in the trunk as well. Very strange indeed.
Ya, there's just nothing there, so it isn't like someone just forgot to attach the net. That's why I was somewhat reluctant to bring it up and potentially have it addressed as I didn't want them ripping out the trunk lining already and wasn't sure if they would just punch the holes in and put in the hardware that secures the net, or I needed whole new panels altogether. I don't know. Looks like 10% of people's 1-series seem to come this way. The one on the left side does have a lil elastic strap at least. Edit - was just back down at the car and what's interesting is, the trunk mat, which in certain areas has about a 1.5-2" lip on the sides (to prevent/contain spills) looks like it might help keep things in place on the right cubby which may almost solve that problem. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport
I still plan to put one of the removed RFTs on a spare wheel and keep it in the garage. I might throw it in the trunk for the rare long trip (this isn't my long trip car), otherwise keep it in the garage to bridge the gap between flatbed and full repair. I do plan to keep the equivalent of the BMW mobility kit in the trunk.
I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel. I'll take pictures after the full size spare is in the trunk, too this weekend. Right now just the tire is in there, which of course is going to be exactly how much space I lose, but was almost the same price to slap a new tire on an old rim as it was to get some of those mobility kits. I'm leaning towards your approach as well, but my situation is slightly more complicated because I only have limited use of my left hand/wrist from my accident in my LAST 135, so I also have to consider that as I don't think I'll even be able to lift and carry the spare rim and tire, but got the bags with handles and will find out soon enough. Similarly, I don't know that I could effectively use the mobility kits, but think I could manage it. Not sure which side my crippledness will push me towards.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 09-20-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0