View Single Post
      04-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

mini Track Report 2 tracks - 2 days

This past Friday I instructed for BSR at Friday at the Track and on Saturday with Porsche Club on the Jefferson Circuit. Weather on Friday began cold and wet. The 50 minute instructor session was on a wet track.

First, the car had 1140 miles on it and I have been very good about the break-in process and since I also have temporary tags and RFTs on it, it seemed like a good time to take it 'easy'. That said the car was blast on the track. I left the 'nannies' on. Trail braking will insure that the front does not plow too much. In fact the car is very well balanced and easy to drive.

Summit Point Circuit - Turn 1 and 2 could be treated as an increasing radius turn with slight camber. Turn in was crisp with a little looseness mid-corner which only required a slight flick of the wheel to tame.

Turn 3 again crisp turn in, loose mid corner.
Turn 4 high risk - I did not push turn in, again loose mid-corner.
Turn 5 slowest entry on the track, crisp turn-in, loose mid-corner.
Turn 6, 7, 8, close to neutral, you can pretty much induce what ever condition you want.
Turn 9 loose on exit. (Track undulations) During the student session, on the second warm-up/standing yellow laps, a Viper at this event buried itself in the trees track right just before the bridge and the driver had to be cut out.
Turn 10, again loose mid corner.

Brakes work very well, but the pads could use an upgrade. The power is there; but, I limited myself to 4000-4500 rpm and close to; but no full throttle. With all the restrictions I placed on the car, I was never in a position to yield to another car. In fact, the only data point I wanted to collect was the comparison to the E46 M3 -- caught, passed, and gapped. Ditto 350Z, Corvette, and and a host of other cars. Toward the end of my time on track I was catching a 335 (from the entry to 5 you can see across the infield to turns 7 and 8.

I declared that it was a good maiden voyage for that car.

Saturday's event was on the Jefferson Circuit and the morning was devoted to exercises with full course lapping in the afternoon. In the morning, I had charge of the Skid pad and proceeded over there early. I ran laps in both directions with different 'nannie' modes. Neither Nannie mode will prevent you from spinning, unlike some cars which will only allow you to push off the track.

What I did notice is, the nannie will intervene and chop power.
Dry Track --

During the Instructor lapping sessions, I lined up first, just ahead of a GT3 and a 996 Twin Turbo. Within two laps, I was passed by the GT3 and a 997 C2S. By then we had gapped the rest of the field pretty handily. I also raised my rev limit to 5K.

Observations -- turn 1 is a very slow speed that wants a really late turn in with a lot of rotation. Despite where your foot is on the gas with DSC, the nannie will not provide power until some of the yaw is killed.

Observation - RFTs heat up fast with huge pressure rise 10 to 14 psi. Max temp tire should be under 200F. That can be achieved quickly. If you are going to drive it on the track without track tires, get a good street tire, like a PS2 or a Toyo and you will have a blast. Save the RFTs for daily driving. Oil temps were never a problem.

I will post more if I think of it.

Appreciate 0