01-08-2015, 02:05 AM   #42
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
That is not the correct way to check the coolant. It says so right on the coolant exp tank/res. You always want to check the coolant level bone cold, not when its hot(like in that video)!! That is why the coolant dip stick popped up like that. Defending the dealer... its hard for them to work on a cold engine, bc everyone just drives to them and say HEY my coolant is low(my "sailboat light" is on, what does that mean?)... so thats probably why they made this video like this. They should have been more clear on the procedures though.

Here is what the coolant level (dip)stick should be when cold....

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I dunno.

That diagram to me reads: check when cold (which is what the guy in the video said he did - or rather he said never check when hot), the min cold level will be when the float is even with the top of the threads and the max cold level is when the float is popping out an inch or so.

The diagram says nothing about the max level being a 'hot level'. Even the owners manual page you included says (on step 3) the level is correct if it is between the min and max marks... Which to me reads, if it is at the min mark you are barely okay, so add some fluid. the guy in the video says this as well.
Sorry, but I agree with foghat too and think you're wrong in terms of the max cold level float indicator... Here's another video also that shows clearly the float stick and how its top sticks out of the expansion tank when full, just like the diagram on the car shows...

Appreciate 0