08-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
It snows where I live about once every 5 years. I'd like to be able to drive in it if I needed to but I have another vehicle better suited to snow (a 2WD SUV with all seasons). I thought about taking the bimmer out last time it snowed but got scared of the possibilit of somebody else sliding into me.

My main reason for the all seasons is the tread wear rating, not the all weather performance. I haven't tried it but my theory is that a driver familiar with snow (this is the first place I've lived that doesn't get major storms).

Jim
Remember that UTQG ratings are manufacturer dependent, so you can't compare across brands at all, and even within brands, they're really not a standard of anything meaningful, just a vague guideline. If you want good wear, consider the Michelin PSS, which has a 30k mile warranty for the front, and either the same for the rear if you don't have staggered wheels and can rotate, or 15k if you do have staggered wheels.

I run the older PS2 tires and have consistently gotten 25k out of the rears on my tracked and hard driven M Coupe and the PSS is supposed to have at least 10% better wear. The 135i has Michelin Sport A/S Plus on it, and they have a 45k/22.5k warranty but no where any where near PSS or PS2 levels of grip. They're only on the car because I need something to drive in the snow and with no limited slip, the 135i is a dog at the track anyway.

Since you have a foul weather car, I'd strongly recommend getting summer only tires for your fun car.
Appreciate 0