View Single Post
      11-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

OMG, too scary, yet hilarious too in a sick way. If only there were some videos he could have watched showing how to do this....thank god he's a self starter and willing to make one for the rest of us. First scare is at about 0:40, when it shows the used car dealer plates - somebody gonna buy this POS w/o knowing.

Some special tips he doesn't call out directly:
-Always have your toddler messing about on the periphery. She's little so she can crawl about under the car later to find all the stuff you dropped, until she has to go to the ED.
-Break out the hammer early - gotta have a hammer - especially to tighten those caliper nuts before you remember which way to loosen them.
-make sure to let that caliper swing a little on the brake line, before supporting it, straightens out any kinks.
-18mm nut is always worth a try when you need to pry something - don't worry about damaging it, it only holds your brakes together.
-always refill the master cylinder between wheels, so that you get as much brake fluid pushed out as possible - just light it on fire afterwards, to detail that greasy firewall.
-remember that '3-pushes first' quickie brake bleed - you'll need to do that every time you want to slow down (note I'm not saying every time you want to stop - full stop is highly optional at more than parking lot speeds).
-and always replace that pad sensor, or you'll void your warranty - and make fun of the last owner who didn't know to do it right.

But putting caliper lube on the friction side (of just one pad, IIRC) actually made me cringe (please tell me this is some new stuff that is supposed to go there, like the old brake cleaner?).
Appreciate 0