View Single Post
      05-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Actually, it technically does. I have changed out my H8's for completely acceptable H8 halogen replacements, got condensation, then the dealership would NOT clear out the condensation for free because I swapped out my bulbs for non-oem bulbs. Not even LEDs or HID's.. just simple H8 replacements..

This is the biggest load of BS ever. It is outlined in the MANUAL how to open the headlight covers and change H8 bulbs. Dealerships are just looking for every way possible to con you out of some money when a warranty problem arises. I argued and argued and they would not fix my condensation for free. So I just waited for a hot day, got a hair dryer and some silica gel, and dried out the lights myself. Problem solved, and lesson learned.

If you are swapping our your lights, always return them to stock before going in for service. OR let the dealership install the lights for you. If you have a "cool" dealership, like one I found after this unfortunate incident, they will install the lights for you so you're covered as far as the warranty goes in terms of proper light bulb changing procedure (so if you get condensation its THEIR fault) but obviously not covered if your aftermarket bulb shorts something out. I had a BMW-owned body shop reinstall my HID bulbs after an accident, and those require a battery terminal hookup and running wires through the engine bay, and they had no problem doing it and they even warrantied everything they did for a few years. I know it's easier to do yourself, but if you go that route, be careful not to break the "bitch clips" as they are known, and to return to stock for dealership visits.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0