View Single Post
      05-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #36
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

M1 with 3.0TT would be awesome.. Engine is better and much cheaper than 3.2 I6 from e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett8210 View Post
In order for this all to work the 1 series needs to be starting around $27K. Any higher than that and most people will not see the advantage over a 328i.

With that being said, the next step will have to be around $5K more. I don't see BMW discounting their TT engine to be placed in a car for $32K. Such a move would risk a significant cannibalism of 335i sales (of both coupe and sedan numbers). Don't forget the convertable is coming and BMW has to charge a premium over the coupe, but get it below $40K.

Therefore, the 135i coupe at $35K with options over $40K and a 135i convertable at over $45K? This makes no sense. They won't do that. I have no doubt that the TT will probably be in the 1 series, but only as the M. Then they can charge what they want because people will pay it.

Additionally, they will probably detune the 128 and retune the 130 so that there would be a marketable difference in performance to justify a $4-5K difference.
Appreciate 0