05-31-2006, 12:15 AM   #28
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
It does drive like a legitimate sport sedan in my opinion.
Despite the fact that real-life "feel" of the car might seem terrible to us, road test data created by professionals say IS350 is a performer.. not so far behind E90.
"Perform" and "drive" are two different things.

The IS350 is a good performer. I'd go so far as to say that the power it has over the 330i give it the edge at the track, even though it's probably a bit slower through the corners. Remember, it takes a skilled driver to effectively utilize corners - but anybody can mash the throttle.

This doesn't change the fact that the steering is completely lifeless and badly overboosted.

Just as an aside: the manual trans sold very poorly on the IS300 (which, unlike the IS350, actually was a fairly sporty drive). I see no reason why the same wouldn't happen with the updated version. People simply don't walk into a Lexus showroom looking for a sports car (or a sedan masquerading as a sports car)...Lexus has realized this and has adapted the second generation IS to suit. It's obviously working; look at how many they've sold already, especially when compared to the first car.