View Single Post
      12-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

The resonators don't really dull the sound. In the berk midpipes they just help reduce drone, the same way some muffler-less axlebacks for the non-M 1-series have "sound chambers" to reduce the drone you get when you lose the muffler, like aFe's axleback:

It's really just 2 hollow chambers that have the right acoustical properties to alter the sound waves in just the right way to help cancel out some of the drone. Since it's just 2 hollow cavities, and the resonators have a bigger diameter than the rest of the pipe, there's no way they can really restrict the airflow. The purpose of the resonator isn't to cut down on the noise level, per se, but to "dampen" the noise so that it isn't quite as ugly. In terms of the Berk midpipes, it cuts drone and makes it not sound like a "fart can" exhaust you see on ricer cars. If you have a non-resonated midpipe you might be a tiny bit louder, but you'll also sound a lot fartier if the rest of your exhaust is aggressive, and you really won't be able to tell that tiny sound difference. On a car with an otherwise stock exhaust, non-resonated pipes probably won't be an issue.. Some N54 135is swap out to N55 midpipes and it's fine.. but they keep stock DPs and the muffler. I imagine that if you upgrade the downpipes or the rear section in the future, it may be easy to start to dislike the "roughness"..

Last edited by 1speedbike; 12-08-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0