View Single Post
      06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

My time with the 1M as a former owner of a chipped N54 motor (Updated with some pics)

BMW Advanced Driving School at VIR. More details to come. I was paired with two pretty fast guys (one is on his seventh consecutive attendance for Advanced School (I think) the other was a club racer and I was the wannabe track junkie, we ran some quick laps that passed other lead follow groups several times.

Brief Summary

Ambient Temps: 95F

M5: Overheated after some very hard laps, but really fun to drive.
M6: Least favorite, I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me Overheated twice.
M3: Flawless, with the DCT the car is unbelievable especially when learning a new course. I have a 6MT and I am really considering moving on after this.

1M: Underwhelmed, really skittish (short wheel base, hot tires maybe?) It was hot, turbos were hot, got oil temps just above 270F, but something very familiar quickly came up. The torque diminished as the heat increased just like my old 335i. I'm sure the car is a monster in cooler temps, but for me the car won't due in summer months where 90F+ is the norm. The pull was like my old '07 335i Dinan Stage II, but handling was much better with a real LSD. I was lucky enough to drive the M3 then the 1m then back to the M3. The M3 motor is a true gem and its a real shame that the next M3 with be forced induction. There that just one man's opinion.

I can't wait to take my M3 to Sebring this weekend.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0