11-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Modding for improved weight distribution?

As you guys probably know, the 135i 6MT has a weight distribution of 52.3/47.7. BMW undergoes a lot of effort to improve weight distribution (i.e. putting the battery in the back, etc.), so I have to assume that it makes a difference to get closer to 50/50.

I once test-drove a 323i, and it just had a certain balanced feeling. This was several years ago, so I might be misremembering, but I don't get that same sensation from the 1er.

The question is - does anybody know how big of a difference the weight distribution makes? Is there any benefit to modding accordingly? For instance, switching to a CF hood but keeping the stock trunk?

Just some quick math:
Double-sided CF hood would save 28 lbs from the front (44 lbs --> 16 lbs)
Evo Racewerks dry CF frontend could save up to 32 lbs from the front (49 lbs --> 17 lbs)
Various lightweight under-hood components could save 5-10 lbs
Limited-slip differential may add about 8 lbs to the back
Rear-mount methanol tank may add about 15 lbs to the back (when full)

So after these liberal estimates, we've taken 70 lbs off the front and added 23 lbs to the back... and that puts us at 51.0/49.0.

Thoughts?
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0