Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes
my car has a ER front end, CF hood and a CF trunk and an after market exhaust and wheels it is probably 80-100lbs lighter than stock in various parts of the car. I gradually upgraded it all along with so many other part of the car that it is hard for me at this point to compare it to stock.

Race seats, deleting back seat, lighter battery are all fairly easy ways to cut weight but some have noted, eliminating the sunroof would be noticeable.
That all sounds like good ways to reduce weight, but it wouldn't do much for weight distribution... the weight that you take off the front (hood, body kit) is also taken off the back (trunk, exhaust). And racing seats are already at the center, so you may lose overall weight, but you're shifting the moment of inertia farther from the center. And the battery and back seats are in the rear half, so those mods would actually shift the distribution the wrong way. Still good mods for overall weight loss, but not for distribution.

A good experiment might be to put a passenger in the back seat... close to the center, but also close to the rear. If that doesn't provide a noticeable improvement in handling, then it's probably not worth spending a lot of money on weight distribution.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires

Last edited by splitsecond; 11-06-2012 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 0