09-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I bought my car while stationed overseas in early 2010. A year and a half later, I brought the car to Texas (current duty station and home of record). When I titled it, I got stuck with a use tax based on the original purchase price of the vehicle - it ended up being almost $2000! And they wouldn't take a credit card - just cash or check.

Luckily the guy couldn't read the original invoice (it's not in English) because he ended up computing the taxes based on the base price, not the price with options - saved me two or three hundred bucks at least.

Anyway, I don't know the laws in Nevada - I think there's another guy on here who went to NV and didn't pay taxes? I'm pretty sure it's unavoidable for California, because I looked into a little bit because I thought I might be PCSing there instead of TX.
Im PCS'ing to Cali unfortunately and I am considered a resident of that state. Born and raised. I just paid off my car and have been in Germany for 3 years. Will i still have to pay this use fee when i register my car? I think its such crap. If its 2k ima shit my pants.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0