02-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #152
SteveAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
the nuts weren't supplied, that means your stock rod was missing it :/
Incorrect...the "M3" arm has an integrated attachment point, the 135i stock arm does not and there for doesn't require the nut. The 135i rod snaps in place at the ball joint...the "M3" rod has ball joints with a protruding bolt for attachment. Not a biggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I've had the front control arms in for a few days now. I'm not sure how to describe it accurately but there is a marginal improvement. I think I'll be able to appreciate it on the track, on the street it's very hard to tell. The workshop did an alignment as well and now I'm scrubbing in the fronts, but it sounds like it's coming from the inner guard area.
I had the exact same problem on my front right wheel and am also running 8.5 ET45's in front. My wheels were balanced with a combination of tape and clamp weights. The clamp weight was hitting the strut...had it removed and rebalanced...problem solved. Clearance is very close though...probably 3mm or so.

BMW86...what was your alignment adjusted to? I feel a huge difference but also requested my alignment to be adjusted to -1.5 camber in the front and rear...which is exactly what I got. I've only run it around town thus far but I use every opportunity I get to rail a corner (2nd gear @ about 4K)...the car definitely dives in to the corners and tracks better from a front end perspective. The rear feels like it dances a bit but actually hooks up pretty well. Still need to do rear bushings and shocks/struts, but it was a pretty big improvement and I don't get much if any understeer...or I haven't pushed it far enough yet. Still progressively increasing my aggressiveness with it.

Oh, and by the way..about the factory seconds debate. Another variable that hasn't been discussed yet...production efficiency. There are only a limited number of M3s produced...if you're a manufacturer and you spend the time to set your line for a particular product...does it make more sense build and sell 5000 units, or 10,000 units? If BMW didn't sign a rock solid exclusivity agreement....I'm building 10,000 if there is demand...simple economics.
2013 F10--JB4/BM3
2015 F82--Fuel-It! Stage 3 LPFP & PI--PS2 Turbos-- JB4/BM3-FBO
Appreciate 0