Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixcat View Post
If the performance of 1M and M3 are very close, then for most customer the major difference between them is the rear seat leg room...

But I wonder how many percent of the potential 1 and 3 series M-product buyers really care about the rear seat leg room factor. Also, the price of the 1M will step in the range of many M3's competitors.

The root cause is: they need to rushly develop a M product, at the end of the life circle of a platform, which did not design to/plan to have a M variation at the very beginning (back in 2004).

While the engineer team were designing the E8x platform back in 2003 or earlier, at that time did any one in the team ever propose to design/calculate/simulate the structure/strength/dynamics/material with 'it should be also qualify for a M-product usage' in mind?

I doubt it. The 1 series has been around for a long time, just not the coupe we all know. The thing is, I really want an M version of the 1 series, I really do. I just don't want it to fail and become nothing more than a performance parts upgrade later in life because it took away from the M3 or the M3 took away from it.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0