Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Dackel,

I've got 965 miles on my car now and I have a few times stretched it up to 5500rpm, but not on WOT. The only reason I've not used WOT is the book told me not to. However, I do not want to have an oil consumption problem later on, so is it recommend to use WOT a few times do you think?

Most of my driving has been fairly gentle, changing gear at around 3000rpm. Sometimes I go to 4000rpm and on occasion I stretch around to 5500rpm on half throttle, then let the car settle down using engine braking.

My service indicator (for my run in service) is showing that I have another 340 miles to go before the service is due. Do you think it's too late for me now, or do you think a few spirited drives using WOT would help me?

Bottom line, I don't want to do the car any damage, nor do I want BMW to plug the car in and say that I've been driving it too hard. Equally, I don't want to have an oil problem later on....

No Chris. I was talking post break-in miles - in my above post. After you have put on 1,200 miles taking it easy like you described... then by all means start to get more agressive. I would "exercise" the motor GRADUALLY! After you have put on 1,200 miles... start taking the motor revs up to 5K and then coast in gear back down. Then in a hundred or so mile later say 6K and then later go up too 7K. First do it at part throttle up to those rpms - then 3/4 and then FULL throttle runs. ALl the time allowing the engine to "engine brake" from high rpms down to say 3K or 4K rpms. This will let the rings seat. Its best to use third or fourth gears IF you can find the right road.

I also changed my oil (a lot) for the first few thousand miles. I changed my oil & filter at 1,200 miles, 2,400 miles, 5K miles, 7K miles. Then after that I changed my oil every 4K to 6K miles. I am a bit of old school thinking... that the best oil is new oil.

I also had seen 1addict member "Wolfe" make a great posting about the stuff he found inside of his oil filter after he changed it. All the blue silicone particles and of course metal shavings that we all know are left over inside of a new motor. I think its best to change ones oil a few times on a new motor.

Check out post #27... for those oil filter pics. Also check out the very first page of his thread. This a great refference - a must read for the entire thread. I have lots of pics in this thread as well.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+change&page=2

Dackel
Appreciate 0