View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #264
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Another note is that I think that just like Japi says: the real winter rubber with spikes will be a bit soft over 7 degrees celsius. When under 0 they will start to feel better. But winter rubber in the back on 255 with spikes will not be the optimal in handling. ;-) On the other hand I don't want to drive in icy conditions without spikes with this car. The roads I use to go to work are always a bit icy. If you don't have that winter conditions you should be fine with the central european high speed winter rubber. The perform best over 7 degrees celsius. Better handling on dry or wet but much worse on snow/ice.

The reason I go for my setup is that I don't want to buy another set of wheels just for the winter. Always a loss when selling the car and most options don't look good. Refitting winter rubber on the original wheels was the cheapest solution for me. Still need to sell my BMW performance wheels from my current 1-series convertible. (summer setup and selling it with the original BMW wheels that I used for winter on that car). Kind of tired of selling wheels! *laugh*
Appreciate 0