View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #16
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

A battery's impedance (ability to source or accept charge) will grow as the battery ages. Note in the quoted text that it states that the map works against how long the battery has been in the vehicle.

My guess is that given: Vt=Voc+I*R under charge, and R (resistance or impedance) is a function of aging (time at temperature, cycles of use, capacity fade, deep discharges, etc.), that as the battery ages, it will try to boost the voltage to some extent to overcome this and get sufficient current into the battery. The problem is that as the voltage goes up, the chances of rapid gassing increase (electrolysis of water), and so then what can happen is that you can prematurely age or overcharge a new battery if it is not reset.

My issue with this is that if the battery has a three year warranty, and fails at two because it wasnt registered, then the risk is entirely upon the store selling the battery, not you. So if it fails early, but the replacement was free, why pay to register? Similarly, if the battery just wont be charged "as optimally", the issue is that a $100 battery that takes a $100 reprogramming had better last >2x as long for there to be an ROI for going to the dealer and getting it done.

Now, the caveat is that if some electronics will go haywire due to a registration not being done, then in the interest of everything being in tip-top shape, why not do it?

A BT can do it, and would pay for itself in three batteries. These cars have pretty high drain so three batteries can be as low as nine years. Many dont keep their cars that long, I intend to. So when the time comes, I may buy the tool... But then again I may not register my battery...
Appreciate 0