01-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
...Put the trans in 4th or 5th ad then let the clutch out at a stop...
I think he means try flooring it in 3rd or 4th gear meaning that you will treat it like first gear and you were taking off for a race. In 3rd or 4th gear if the clutch is slipping the engine will run for a second longer before it stalls due to the lack of sufficient ground speed to tranny rotation. This is a common way to tell if the clutch is worn out. You WILL smell the clutch at this point either way as it will slip a little. Most automotive dealer use this trick while applying the brake and to do a fast test of the clutch condition.

If you feel this is what your vehicle s doing then replacing the clutch is likely the answer.

If you find that this is not the issue then you might try short shifting before redline in 1st OR some people ride the clutch a little and start off in 2nd. (I do not recommend starting in 2nd gear as it WILL wear out the clutch prematurely) If it is slipping and you are under the maintenance aggrement then it is likley covered and a free replacement otherwse it might be wise to find a Indy shop for replacement. Either way your dealer/INDY can diagnose this issue if you are not comfortable.

I just realized I was a day late on this thread. Sorry about that. But as others have mentioned The CDV can be a cause of the delay too if it is not properly working of course. Jsut because it is there can also be the issue you are feeling. I dont recommend to get rid of it but it if were my vehicle I would really think about bypassing it.

Last edited by rking117; 01-24-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0