12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Great write-up, i'm not bold enough to attempt this without a lift (having the car turned on with jacks scares me), but it seems relatively simple from a mechanical standpoint. I'm at about 38k right now, but when I get to 60k or so I think i'll be swapping the fluid as well, I don't buy the whole "lifetime" argument. That's a beautiful E88 by the way..
Thanks 135Pats!

I think having the car on only 4 jacks would scare me also which I why I went with the 2 ramps and 2 stands method. There's less room underneath but I feel a lot safer that way.

I'm not sure about the States but here in Australia our warranty is only 3 years and 100,000km. I think the whole "lifetime" thing is very convenient. But yeah, my fluid definitely didn't last me the 100,000kms and I only started modding at 90,000kms so changing it even before that point would be good, especially if you feel that your transmission isn't shifting as smoothly as it should.

If you ever do decide to give it a go, feel free to PM me and I'll help out any way I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Very nice DIY - Froop!

You might want to recheck your trans fluid level when the trans fluid is fully warmed up. I think bmw says to check it at 80'C. So when you add new fluid, you really need to have the engine/trans running a long time. ~45min.

Also... since you were only able to replace ~5L of ATF... you might consider another ATF fluid change(w/o changing the pan filter). I know when I changed my ATF on my e39 it took a few trans fluid changes before my ATF looked nice and red coming out(old ATF) of the pan. Its so simple to do this job, it boggles the mind why BMW does not want us changing our ATF fluid.

Great DIY!
Thanks Dack!

From what I've seen, the optimal filling temperature is 30ºC with a maximum of 50ºC. The TIS document states that if it goes above 50ºC the trans fluid must be allowed to cool down to below this temperature before attempting to refill again.

I am going to get under the car again this weekend to check my gasket for leaks and probably to check the ATF level. I might use a thermometer to get it to 30ºC accurately when filling with the engine running. I'll try and get some clearer photos when I get under the car again.

I think doing another full flush would be since my fluid was so old. Just need to order in some more fluid. What I definitely will do is probably flush and refill after 50,000kms and then perform a full service again replacing the filter/pan and probably mechatronics sleeve another 50,000km after that.