01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTapePatrol View Post
Somebody mentioned software update earlier in the thread, so I found this: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638072. It seems to describe exactly what I'm driving at, even though the consensus of the thread was that the PPK would solve the issue. The 135is has the PPK, but I don't feel like it "solves" the "problem". I put problem in quotes because this is obviously an artificial problem - it all comes down to engine programming.

Nonetheless, still frustrated - I feel as if BMW has "neutered" an otherwise hidden gem of a performance coupe and am kicking myself for not having picked one up a year and half ago. Next step: try to find a '11 without the SW update and drive it to confirm that I'm not absolutely bonkers.
I have 2009 N54 with PPK V2 and for 3 years have successfully avoided the software update. If you can live without the DCT, look for a low mileage 2010 with 6 speed MT and make the necessary modifications. Consider PPK tune for no warranty impact, M3 front end bits and sway bar, performance springs, koni dampers and exhaust if you need louder. Add an extended warranty and I bet you still will be spending $5 to 8K less than a new car. You could do the same with a low mileage 2011 N55.